I’m getting used to being in a European capital again. Narrow streets, fancy sculptures and details put there in 18th-century or even earlier, and people bustling in every direction. Here in Copenhagen it is bicycles bicycles bicycles. They have their own lanes and they’re very good about sticking to them but you better not get in the way of them. All over the central old city the sidewalks are half cobblestone and half wide paving blocks. The bikes can go on the wide paving blocks and you can take a wheeled luggage or baby buggy on them but I saw a woman with a walker having a lot of trouble.

In general the streets are not made for people with disabilities. They are made for young people and bicyclists but the old don’t seem to have quite as much attention given to them as they would be in the states. And there is a lot of construction going on. High cranes, loud drilling, etc. they are putting in a new subway line..

My little hotel turned out to be just perfect. The bed is very comfortable. It is quiet and easy to get around the area. This morning I started off with Rick Steve’s walking tour and it was almost raining and quite chilly. But as the day wore on it became more sunshiny than cloudy and warmer than chilly but there was still a good breeze. I was glad I had brought warm enough clothes. The flowers are at about the same stage at home. Tulips everywhere and flowering trees.
I walked all the way down the Strotget, all the way to the canal tour terminus. Before I got there I stopped at the Illums Bolighus Department store and bought a couple of trinkets. I spent quite awhile there; it is a dream of Danish decor for me.

I found a little restaurant in a “church that is not a church,” called Maven. It has outdoor tables as many of the cafes and restaurants do, but it was much too chilly for that. (Some places have shawls on the outside chairs, in case you want to chance it!). It seems to be a place popular with locals, and for the third time I got addressed first in Danish.. And only when I spoke did they switch to English! I had veal tartare, which came with a lovely little arugula salad and of course onions and caper berries and cornichons. With a glass of wine, and excellent bread, a warm, blissfully pleasant lunch.

I continued my walk down to the canal where the tour boats start, and that was a very nice respite from walking. I knew to get on one that was partially covered, so that if It was too windy, I could duck inside. But it was great fun to see all the boats, and the new buildings built quite recently, and still being built, directly on the harbor. Guess they haven’t, in the most ecologically conscious of countries, thought of seas rising.

When I left the canal boat I walked down a street I thought was parallel to the one I’d followed to the square. It was, instead, a spoke on a wheel away from it, and I ended up, pretty bushed, at the gardens of the Rosenholm Palace. Too tired to go in, I took a
bus back to the train station and walked back to the hotel. I’ll go there tomorrow.

By now the weather has mostly cleared and I have been off my feet for a couple of hours, so before I go to bed, I’m going over to Tivoli after dark.